Interviewee: Harold W. Fulton
Interviewer: Michael Ruane
Place: Camp Evans – 9039
Media: NTSC Video
Summary: Mr. Irv Bauman
TAPE 7B HAROLD W. FULTON
In 1952, Harold worked in Bldg 25 as a Laborer at $1.29/hr. He indicated that the shop personnel could make anything needed by the project engineer.. Shops had their own tool cribs. These were moved from the Hexagon to Evans where in Bldgs. 2503, 2504, 2405, 2406, any tool or material the Machine Shop needed was available. The Carpenter, Sheet Metal and Machine Shop Tool Cribs were all combined. The Paint and Electric Shops were in the Motor Pool. Equipment built in Evans Shops were prepared and ready for overseas shipment. Any metals needed were stocked and ready for issue.
After WWII, the labs wee very busy with multiple daily shifts reporting for work. During the war men and women lived in separate barracks and worked for the Army. In 1948 -1950, he served in the Paratroopers overseas. Harold then spoke of the cafeteria where shop people would congregate during break, speaking of anything but work, for relaxation. He stated that Security was extremely tight; badges were always checked. Any packages brought into the area were always carefully inspected, even the contents of a thermos container.
Referring to the McCarthy Hearings, he indicated that suspected people were placed in outside areas. Though McCarthy was allowed admittance to the Evans Area, his deputy, Mr. Cohen was not..
Harold spoke of an igloo whee obsolete equipment would be disassembled for its yet useful components, for shop people and engineers to make use of, when needed. Muncie Crost, a physicist, assigned to EDTL, would assist in tube storage and issue.
Evans area was a relatively quiet and peaceful place to work in; Hexagon was the opposite. He loved working in Evans, wishing he could still be there working. Engineers and shop people always worked well together. He referred back to the shop
responsibilities to include building maintenance. However today most of this is done by outside contract.
Harold was raised in Spring Lake, Now he lives in an area across the Evans Parking Lot. He was married in 1947, lived in a barracks building, set up by the Government for returning veterans in various towns paying $27/m, just after the war in 1947. He built a house in 1952 thru 1956.
Page created August 2, 2002